Monday, June 23, 2008

Complicated Light

Ze BelgiumA co-worker of mine may be losing his office in the near future. We all may be losing them due to growing needs. It's going to be a sad day when this happens. But to remember the good times, Antoine (pictured) asked me to take a photo of him so he would never forget the good times of having his own office.

He had a chocolate cigar that he wanted to use in the photograph. That immediately got my mind racing with ideas. I knew I wanted to show him in a powerful setting like a crime boss. This is quite the contrast to his real character that I knew it would make a good photo.

Setup shot for 'Ze Belgium'I set up in his office during lunch. I had just bought a new 430ex speedlight that I could use for a hair light so I knew I would be getting my most complicated lighting shot yet. I shot at 1/250 shutter speed at f/3.5. This knocked out any light from the horrible flourescent lights that are in the offices. I used my 580ex II to provide the overall fill light. I set up one 430ex speedlight on the ground and shot it through a plant. This is providing a little texture on the back wall, it was pretty boring otherwise. I then had another 430ex speedlight shot through a snoot and taped this on the book shelf. This was providing my hair light that would help pop him off the background. The last 430ex was shot through a snoot with a CTO (change to orange) gel that would hit his face and provide my key light. The CTO gel helps to add some natural skin tone back to his face and help it pop a bit more as well.

Wow, that was a mouthful. First time I've used 4 lights to photograph anything. When he returned from lunch, he sat down and we were cooking. I had to adjust the one light that was hitting his face since I wasn't sure where it would be when I was setting up. I shot for about 10 minutes and got some great shots. I then pulled back my setup shot then adjusted my white balance to fluorescent to throw the overall color blue. With that CTO gel, it knocked the overall room blue while keeping him quite natural.

I moved in with this new white balance setting just for fun and snapped my last photo. I knew I had some good shots so I didn't play on this mode much. But this last shot ended up being the best. The color just gives it a unique feel and I love how his natural skin tone contrasts with the rest of the photo. Not to mention, his expression looked the most menacing.

1 comment:

kaje said...

What did Antoine think of the photo?